Another great food week to celebrate, as it’s National Sausage Week. Can’t beat a good sausage I feel, and we’re lucky that we still have a butcher in the village who makes fabulous Lincolnshire sausage. If you ever eat at the Red Lion Inn then you can get to experience them too.
What else is good? Well, here’s a few suggestions for some unusual meat treats to gift to the meat lover in your life!
1. How about a real Cumbrian sausage, made in Cumbria by The Cumbrian Sausage Company. Made only with natural ingredients, select cuts of pork and a special blend of herbs and spices, this will perk up sausage and mash, or a barbecue.
2. Give them the very best, with a box of award winning sausages. Twenty four sausages, all of which have been award winners at The Great Taste Awards. This could make for one amazing sausage sizzle with friends, or just a lot of solo dinners! The box includes Pork & Real Ale and Pork & Leek from Redhill Farm, Pork & Caramelised Onion and Pork, Apple & Black Pudding from Ramsay’s of Carluke. A very unusual gift, but a very tasty one, from British Fine Foods.
3. What about a great tasting sausage that also supports the continuation of rare breed pigs? For me, look no further than the Classic Essex Pork Sausages from Jimmy’s Farm. I usually buy these whenever I see them at a food festival, particularly if the ebullient Dolly is on the stand. Simple, meaty and just crying out for some brown sauce.
4. A bit of nostalgia from me, but when we lived in Hampshire, then a BBQ wasn’t complete without sausages from O’Hagansin Fishbourne. I was always very fond of his Lamb and Mint, Dr T still misses the hot merguez. Best wedding reception I ever went to was an O’Hagan’s sausage sizzle. Scrumptious!
5. For those with gluten allergies, sausages can be one of those nightmare foods that catch you unawares. More and more places are offering gluten free versions, which can end up very meaty. My favourite is the gluten free sausage from Gonalston Farm Shop. A fabulous farm shop with over 30 different sausages to choose from, although sadly just the one for the non gluten eaters! But it is at least a very good sausage!
So get out there and celebrate Sausage Week with some fabulous bangers!
Fabulous banger shot from Spigoo on Flickr