The weather is getting colder, and I see the countdown to Christmas most definitely beginning. Which makes me think about what will be appearing as Christmas gifts for food lovers. And just how many disappointing things there might be out there. So here’s a few thoughts on things I really, really hope not to see:
* Please, enough with the giant peppermills filled with different coloured peppercorns. If we wanted one we’d have one by now. And those of us left don’t want one, thanks.
* Yet another lazy gift on the theme of keeping calm and carrying on. Mostly we’re quite tired of carrying on. We’re certainly quite tired of all the variations.
* Cupcakes. Enough already.
* Badging by chefs, and the same chefs at that. I’m all for great chefs doing great things, that really match up with what they do (I was a big fan of the stuff the Hairy Bikers did last year). But it seems there’s just more of the same from the old crew, with not much room being made for any of the interesting new talent coming through. Who probably wouldn’t want to do badging type exercises anyway. Which is what would make them interesting to us…oh well, we can live in hope.
*Mrs Bridge’s preserves. Sure they are very nice, but there is so much great preserving going on in the UK now that there are so many more interesting choices to make.
* Spice racks. Because in 4 years time you’ll find some still not opened, which when you do will all taste like dust. Exactly the same dust, regardless of what they originally started out as.
* Anything involving Pot Noodles. No, not all “heritage” brands are iconic or ironic, and some are not worth keeping alive.
Just my views, and fairly scared I am going to see some of these. What do you think, what should they stop trying to peddle as gifts for food lovers?