My birthday plans, like many plans, were thrown into a bit of disarray by the weather. We had planned to spend the day at the CLA Game Fair, as it was due to be just up the road from us at Belvoir Castle. I’ve been once before when it was at the castle, and had a blissful day watching food demos, drinking gin and tonics and trying and buying some great food.
You can see what it was looking to be an appealing way to spend a birthday!
Sadly, although the build was well underway, the weather meant they got behind schedule and were never going to catch up. Not to mention an incredibly waterlogged ground, from car park to showground. I am sure it wasn’t an easy decision to cancel, but it does mean that a significant number of businesses will be out of pocket, and without an uplift in sales as well. So here are a few worth mentioning, that I would have visited:
*Alsop & Walker – artisan cheesemakers from East Sussex, I’d have been stopping by to try the Sussex Blue and the Mayfield, which looks fantastic. I’ve not tried their cheese before so would have been a real treat.
* Artisan Smokehouse – someone I have written about before, but doesn’t mean I wouldn’t still have stopped by. I am out of smoked paprika, so would have stocked up, and would have tried the Maple Smoked Rapeseed Oil.
* Barbourne Cider & Perry – I’m not a huge cider drinker, but do have a liking for perry. Not had it for an age, so this could have been a good sampling stop.
* Bouverie Lodge – a familiar sight at farmer’s markets around here, best bison burgers bar none.
* Eat Paella – would be different, and lets face it, this would make a nice change to BBQ. I’d have been tempted, and I know Dr T would be, as he brought one back from Spain. We lost it in a move. It was a nightmare to find somewhere to keep it.
* The Handmade Scotch Egg Company – we wouldn’t have needed to pack a picnic, would we? I like the Wee Beasties, that way get to try more of the flavours!
* Spencerfield Spirit Company – well, I said there would be gin! Edinburgh Gin that is. Always generous with their samples.
I wish all those businesses well, and hope they’ve found other ways to get out to meet customers this weekend. And sods law, it’s been pretty dry here all weekend!
Photo of the castle by Jerry Gunner on Flickr.