Yesterday was World Vegan Day, and the start of World Vegan Month. I can’t say that this would be a way of life I would choose day in day out, but I understand the reasons many would choose to. I would certainly need to adjust a great many dishes that I cook, and my baking would almost be like starting again.
So, I’d need a new culinary and baking education, and whole stack of new cookbooks…so here’s five I’d pick as starters:
* Appetite for Reduction – ok, this is a magpie moment, as I just liked the really colourful cover. May as well start off by dispelling a view that it has to be dull to be vegan. This sets out to prove that it’s not all about lettuce and tofu, and with things like Spinach Lasagne and a Glam Chowder it sounds like it’s well on its wayto doing that.
* Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook – so, maybe this is the only book I’d need. This is about vegan cooking, every day, not just special days, so does feel like it might be a good place to start. Certainly it covers every course, from dips and appetisers through brunch to one pot dinners.
* The Asian Vegan Kitchen – I love Asian flavours, and guess that the flavours are so lovely and varied that they can make everything taste amazing. Salt and pepper tofu has even been known to be ordered.
* The Vegan Scoop – even if I’d turned vegan, there would still have to be pudding. And I do love ice cream, so would need some guidance on how to make a good one without the cream. I’ve never tried a vegan ice cream (note to self) so I would want to work through the flavours.
* Babycakes Covers the Classics – well, there has to be at least one baking book! I actually own Erin’s first book, and have visited the bakery, even eaten two cupcakes. I don’t often bake from the first book (mainly because everything is from Short & Sweet currently) but if it was vegan, I’d give these a go. Certainly the frosting was something else!
Maybe this could be the next step from Meat Free Mondays, which I’m working towards, though sadly no nice alliteration possible. But every once in a while, I am sure it would make a change that could be interesting.