I read a great post over on Essex Eating over the weekend, about favourite kitchen kit, which was illuminating in both the original post and in the comments. There was lots of mentions for great knives, KitchenAids and a few other bits you’d expect to see.
Surprisingly, very few of us mentioned our scales. And yet I’d be a bit lost without mine. I guess that if you are cooking then you can do it more by instinct, sight and taste, but if you’re keen on baking then I think you need something a little more than just a good guess. Here’s a few that I’d think would make for great gifts, and get added to the useful kit list of any keen baker:
* These are my scales, and I love them. Probably about the third set I’ve ever owned, and I don’t need another set. I love the add and weigh feature, and that can switch between metric and imperial, both dry and wet measures. And it’s very slim and lightweight and takes up no space. Doesn’t get any better.
* If you’ve got a retro look going on in the kitchen, then these are a good looking set. It does imperial and metric measurements, and would make a great feature if you’ve got space to leave it out on a counter.
* The baking levels may go up around the Jubilee and Olympics, so if you need a new pair of scales at that time, then maybe this is the pair to get. Again, good add and weight facility, as well as wet and dry measurements.
* For those who really love their gadgets, or perhaps just are very short of space, then these Mirja digital folding scales might just be the thing they’ve been waiting for. Will weigh up to 3 kilos but folds up as small as a pepper grinder, and even has its own hanging hook.
* Should you be shopping for someone who wants to make a real design statement, then these Alessi might be the thing. And they are very stylish it has to be said. Not a cheap option at £109, but if design is the most important thing to them, then these can’t fail to impress. That said, there’s a lot of kit you can get for £109.
I couldn’t do without my scales, and sure that any kitchen needs at least one decent set!