At the end of last year I made some food resolutions for 2010, and am amazed that the year has come to an end. Which means it’s probably time to remind myself what the heck I resolved to do, and how it went.
1. Waste less food. I think I have made some progress on this one. Perhaps it was because we had a brilliant day out at The Ministry of Food at the Imperial War Museum, which I really recommend you get to see before it closes on January 3. I still don’t have a stockpot, but I am making a lot more soup these days.
2. I’m going to have to pop out and see how many new cookbooks have appeared on the shelves this year, as I may have not stuck to the resolution to use my books more and buy less. I’ve bought more secondhand, so perhaps this counts too. If I count what I’ve cooked from most, I would say Sky High for baking and Gastrokid and Mexican Food Made Simple for dinners.
3. Trying something new. Had fun with this one, can’t think what my fave new thing was though, as too many to choose from. Ate in new places, tried new foods and new producers. Had great fun. Slackened belt.
4. Eating for the food not the glory will continue to be a motto this year. Although it is the first year I’ve eaten at a two Michelin star restaurant, which was glorious. But I had equally memorable meals at food courts in Hong Kong, some simple grilled fish in Mallorca, and wood fired pizza in a field. Taste first!
5. We did grow more, although still not enough to be self sufficient by any stretch of the imagination. More herbs, more salad and some interesting potatoes next year I think.
What did you resolve this year on the food front? And what are you going to do in 2011?
Photo by RedStamp.com