So, it’s coming up to Valentine’s Day, which means only one thing to me.
It’s the night of the year not to go out to eat.
I apologise to all those in the restaurant trade, I know you’re doing you’re best. But generally the set menus are bland or trite (not you, The Modern Pantry, loving your work).
And the worst offenders are those that rename dishes with “romantic” titles. To me, fancy pant restaurant dishes are really unlikely to say I love you, in spite of every good intention.
What would you choose then, what really says I love you? Here’s my choices:
- Saturday morning toast and tea delivered to bed by MFL.
2. Chicken soup any time you’re under the weather, even if you have to heat it up yourself.
3. Anything your kids make for you.
4. A good cup of tea anyone else makes for you, just when you need it most.
5. Someone bringing you something that they remembered you liked, like when a friend arrived with a box of macarons straight from a Parisian patisserie. Or a chunk of Parmesan straight from a cheese shop in Rome.
What does it for you? What says I love you from you to someone else, or them to you?